Attempting to Train the Wild out of Me

on Sunday, February 20, 2011
Hi there! Before Summer comes back, I would just love to thank Wild Dingo, Honey, and Frankie and Beryl's mama for all the useful advise about her nipping habits. I loved the water gun idea! I don't think Summer would be too keen on that though. =P We're going to try everything we can, and hopefully it will help reduce (and dare I hope, eliminate!) the problem. We'll keep you updated on her nipping progress! Oops, here she comes. Don't tell her I said anything.

Momma-1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope Momma-1 hasn't been talking bad about me in front of you guys! Just so everyone knows, I wasn't always a wild child. I used to be an extremely submissive and scared girl! When Momma-1 just got me, she took me to classes because she thought it was a good opportunity to socialize me and get me used to strangers and new environments. It was a whole lot of fun. I got to go for so many car rides, open strange pee-mail, meet other dogs, meet new people! Well, the new people part wasn't that fantastic. I made sure they knew when they were coming too close to me! I merely tolerated it because everything else was so wonderful.

Momma-1 took me for what they call the Canine Social Adaptability Test. It's obedience classes for house pets (without all the strict real obedience stuff!). And I passed with flying colours! Even the portion involving strangers. Not once did I attempt to bark, lunge or bite said stranger. I could tell Momma-1 was very proud of me then. I even dabbled in a little bit of agility and the trainers said I was a natural. Talk about stating the obvious. My natural athleticism is what allows me to perform my escapes!

After Momma-1 went to her own training school aka University, there was no one to take me to classes anymore. There's only one training centre nearby, and that's about an hour away from home. Only Momma-1 was free to take me all the way there!

But since Momma-1 has been back for Summer Holidays (A holiday named after me! How important am I. =D), she decided to do some training with me again!

Mysterious. I wonder what's going on at the other side?

TADA! The Mommas are taking extra measures so I don't run off into the sunset.

The Mommas were VERY impressed by my sit-stay and down-stay. I thought I'd cooperate. Just goes to show I can be good if I want to.

"Are you leaving me here forever? =("

And at the end of a long day, all I want to do is crawl into my crate and have a good night's sleep.




Lots of licks,
Summer

3 comments:

Mayli the Labradane said...

Hi, Summer:

The obedience practice is tough, but I'm sure the treats are nice! :) Down stays are my weakest skill, unfortunately. I'm sure we'll both get better with time!

That last photo is just gorgeous! What a beautiful and loving doggy. Wish we could play together, even though I wouldn't be able to keep up on my best day. :)

- Mayli the Labradane

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

Nice to meet you! Training can be fun! I glad you enjoy it and is doing well.
~lickies, Ludo

Unknown said...

Oh Wow, Summer - I'm REALLY impressed too!! Not just with you but also with your human! Lots of people just do the puppuy classes or have good intentions in the beginning but then they never stick with things (or they just want a "quick fix!") and so they don't keep up training & stimulation to keep their dogs' lives interesting & keep improving the bond. It's wonderful that your Momma-1 still makes time for you to practise all those important things even when she has her own busy things to do at school. I hope you will get a chance to go back to class soon as they are really one of the best fun places for doggies, I think!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Post a Comment